If you are the kind of person who craves success, loves to set goals just for the satisfaction of reaching them; then you understand the frustrations of a major set back.I came into this world fighting, it’s what I know, it’s who I am. If I tried to remember all the set backs I’ve overcame… I’d get dizzy. I’ll be the first to say that I’ve made my share of bad life decisions and I’ve paid for those consequences and have learned from my mistakes.
The one thing that I am most proud of is my ability to take a risk, to try something even when the outcome could be failure whether it be to pursue my Masters degree or pack up my family and move across country for a job but whatever thechance of risk, the outcome of success was worth the risk of failure.
My recent surprise of unemployment has been one of the scariest hurdles that I’ve faced in a very long time, I wouldn’t call it a failure as much as I call it an awakening. I’ve been given a rare opportunity to sit back, evaluate, and figure out what I really want out of my career. I feel blessed that I can do that because I chose to graduate from college and to pursue positions that advanced my career, providing me with options.
I have to admit though, it is tougher than I expected! I have gone thru some moments that were a little more dark. To instantly not have an income is the most terrifying feeling in the world. It’s easy to strap on your hat and host the world’s biggest parry for one but then I remembered how I’m not alone, I have my bright side.
My bright side? Sounds weird when things look bleak but it’s what keeps me treading. I made a list of all the bright things I’ve found in the low spot of my life.
- My kids and the rare opportunity to be a full time mommy. We were able to celebrate summer, any way we wanted and I get to be home to greet my kids after school. We’ve created so many great memories.
- I have this major, amazing, and thoughtful support network! I am humbled by how many people have come to me to cheer me on and help me out.
- My mom has always been my bright side, this one doesn’t to me as a shock, she’s been here to make sure we get thru this, I don’t know where we would be without her.
- One very special someone who has been there with the first hug after losing my job to ‘let’s go away for the weekend’. He helps me laugh, he let’s me breakdown, he even tolerates my recent moodiness. There is so much gratitude that I have a great friendshipmance, even when I’m not a my highest point.
- I have a clean slate! I have gotten to look at what I really deem as success in life and am ready to take on my next adventure!!
- I can’t leave out my fur babies, no really. These guys give the best cuddles when I’m sad, they make me laugh when I don’t want to, and they remind me of unconditional love.
Our journeys never end, we can’t control the variables of the outside world. We can make plans, set goals, and take risks but nothing is guaranteed and that’s okay. Even our failures our valuable for success, there is always a lesson to be learned and a bright spot to be found.
Taking it one day at a time.
Mom under siege.